Street Trading Licence


Have you applied for your street trading licence yet? Or is your licence expiring shortly, you need to renew it! Businesses wanting to add tables and chairs or a display on the footpath (even if it is private) need to apply for a street trading licence every year.

Here is a bit more information on the type of display you can request (referring to the amount of space being used in front of your shop):

  • Full display: will extend one full metre from the building and extend the entire length of the shop front (assuming it’s a single front).
  • Half display: would either be half a metre for the entire length of a shop front or a full metre for half the length of the shop front (again, assuming it’s a single front).
  • Double display: consists of a double shop front.

Visit street trading licence for more information and to apply online. You will need:

  • Street trading licence number (for renewals)
  • When and where you want to trade
  • Your company’s public liability insurance policy with cover of at least £5million
  • Your company’s commercial waste transfer notes showing how you dispose of trade waste and recycling.
  • A credit card or debit card for the application fee of £62 (not refundable)

For more information on the Street trading licence fees, click here.

Please note that current pavement licences issued under the Business and Planning Act 2020 will expire on September 30th, 2022. A new bill to either extend or modify the Pavement Licence arrangements is working through Parliament, but it is not due back into the Commons until late September, so there is an anticipated gap in legislation.  

If you would like to continue street trading past September 30th, please apply for a new Tables and chairs licence using the council online application portal.